Whiplash Relief from Your Chiropractor in Springfield, MO
While most people associate whiplash with auto accidents, our chiropractor explains that the injury could occur as the result of an incident in which sudden force whips the head back and forth. This event is usually a total surprise to the individual affected. Fortunately, patients who have experienced this type of injury can achieve relief thanks to the expertise of the staff at our Twin Oaks Chiropractic and Acupuncture practice in Springfield.
Another common name for whiplash is neck strain. It is, however, a different condition from a neck sprain, which results from torn ligaments. It can occur whenever force makes the head jerk violently forward and then backward. This jerking might move spinal vertebrae, force soft tissue to rupture, or cause herniated cervical discs.
Many of our patients immediately sense a possible injury because of sudden painful sensations. For others, however, discomfort occurs days later.
The most common symptoms include:
- The existence of both neck pain and a reduced range of motion, sometimes with hard or knotted muscles
- Pain that occurs when the head rocks forward and backward or side to side
- Stiffness or painful sensations when attempting to look over a shoulder
- Headaches originating at the base of the skull and traveling toward the forehead
- Tenderness when touching the tissue
Chiropractic Treatment Options
Chiropractic relies on therapies that avoid the use of surgery or medication to treat this disorder. Treatment options include:
- An adjustment, or manipulation, gently repositions an affected joint.
- Muscle stimulation, muscle relaxation, or a mixture of these therapies relieve tight muscles by stretching them.
- Therapeutic exercises relieve disc derangement and instability of neck muscles.
- Ergonomic and lifestyle adjustments help reduce stress on the body as the patient goes about normal day-to-day activities.
After diagnosis, our practice designs a customized wellness plan for each patient that might include various combinations of these therapies.
Some whiplash injuries should be considered emergencies. A potential concussion might be a serious outcome. These signs merit emergency treatment:
- Headaches that get worse or will not go away
- Physical weakness
- Difficulty talking
Other symptoms of concern include unconsciousness, confusion, dizziness, nausea, or being unusually sleepy.
Schedule a Consultation with Our Springfield Chiropractor
It is important to get an assessment from our Springfield chiropractor, Dr. Clyde Sellers D.C, rather than risk overlooking an injury that could worsen over time. The staff at our Twin Oaks Chiropractic and Acupuncture practice is committed to providing each patient with treatment that helps relieve pain and the stress of daily life. We practice the principles of holistic wellness to help you achieve optimal health. Be sure to call us today at 417-882-1000 to schedule a consultation.