Neck Pain Treatment Explained by Your Springfield Chiropractor
The cervical spine, as the neck is referred to in medical terms is a coordinated network of muscles, joints, bones, and nerves that are usually directed by the brain and the spinal cord. They are designed for communication, stability, and strength. Many people experience neck pain and more often than not it is not a serious problem and will go away after a while. Neck pain is associated with a dull aching that can become worse with the movement of the neck. Understanding neck pain can help you prevent and also when to seek treatment at Twin Oaks Chiropractic and Acupuncture in Springfield.
Different Types of Neck Pain
Being in a position to clearly describe your neck pain to the chiropractor can help him come up with a neck pain treatment plan for you. Here are some types of neck pain you might experience;
- Muscle pain – neck muscles can sometimes develop hard knots due to prolonged physical stress. They can be sore to touch.
- Muscle spasms – this refers to a sudden and powerful tightening of the neck muscles making it impossible to turn your head.
- Facet joint pain – it has been described as a deep and sharp pain felt in the facet joints that often worsen if one leans towards the affected side.
- Bone pain – bone pain is less common than soft tissue pain. One needs to seek medical attention because bone pain can be a sign of a serious medical condition.
Common Causes of Neck Pain
Causes of neck pain include;
- Muscle tension and strain which can be due to poor posture, sleeping in a bad position and jerking of the neck as one is exercising.
- Injury – the neck is vulnerable to injury during a fall, car accident or sports. The most common injury is whiplash.
- Meningitis – which is the inflammation of a thin tissue that surrounds the brain and spinal cord. Meningitis can be fatal.
- Cancer of the spine
How to Prevent Neck Pain
To prevent neck pain, one has to avoid injury to the neck. Also, adopting proper posture can help prevent neck pain. If you are experiencing neck pain due to a poor sleeping position, you should dry a new pillow. To avoid spending too much time looking down on your phone since it can strain the neck muscles.
How Can A Chiropractor Help Treat Neck Pain
To alleviate the pain, you can use an ice pack or stretch. However, if the pain is not going away, consider seeing a chiropractor to treat your neck pain. Below are some gentle chiropractic techniques employed by a chiropractor to help relieve the pain:
- Cervical mobilization
- Cervical manual traction
- Cervical drop technique
Book an Appointment with Twin Oaks Chiropractic and Acupuncture
Are you experiencing neck pain? Have you tried using an ice pack or stretching but it is not going away? It is time to book an appointment at Twin Oaks Chiropractic and Acupuncture and let a chiropractor help relieve the pain. Contact us at (417)882-1000 to schedule your next appointment.