DOT Physicals At Our Twin Oaks Chiropractic and
Acupuncture in Springfield, MO
All drivers of commercial motor vehicles, as well as any employees designated as “safety-sensitive” by the Department of Transportation (DOT), are required to maintain compliance with DOT physicals. DOT physicals are among the many comprehensive wellness services offered at Twin Oaks Chiropractic and Acupuncture in Springfield.
What are DOT Physicals?
DOT physicals must adhere to strict guidelines determined by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). They are designed to detect any physical, mental, and emotional conditions that may interfere with a commercial driver’s ability to safely perform their job. DOT physicals help maintain the safety of these drivers as well as everybody else on the road. Most certificates are valid for 2 years, though varying blood pressures or other conditions may result in 3-month or 1-year certificates.
What Does the DOT Physical Include?
During your DOT physical, Dr. Mullin, a FMCSA certified DOT examiner, will look for indicators of various health problems including eye conditions, cardiac problems, abnormal breathing, limited motion, and more. The physical will cover the following areas of health:
- Vision – Commercial drivers are required to have at least 20/40 acuity in each eye, with vision correction allowed.
- Hearing – Must be able to hear a “forced whisper” in at least one ear, from a distance of at least 5ft, hearing aids permitted.
- Blood Pressure – A blood pressure >180/ 110 is a disqualifying condition. Your DOT physical examiner will measure blood pressure and check for irregular heartbeats.
- Urine Analysis – Urine tests help detect underlying conditions, like glucose levels that may indicate the presence of diabetes
- Full Physical Examination – A DOT physical requires your examiner to check a variety of health categories including general health, eyes, ears, mouth and throat, heart, lungs and chest, abdomen, vascular, genito-urinary, extremities, spine, neurological
Preparing for your DOT Physical
Make sure you’re prepared for your DOT physical by bringing the following requirements:
- Complete medication list, including doses and doctors’ names
- Health history questionnaire
- Eyeglasses, contacts, and hearing aids, if applicable
- If you have diabetes, bring recent lab results and blood sugar logs
- If you have heart-related issues, bring a letter from your cardiologist that includes medical history, current medications, and a physician’s release
- If you have sleep apnea, you must have an annual sleep study and a physician’s release
Schedule Your DOT Physical At Twin Oaks Chiropractic and Acupuncture in Springfield, MO
Dr. David Mullin is a FMCSA certified DOT physical examiner. Schedule your DOT exam today by calling Twin Oaks Chiropractic & Acupuncture at (417) 882-1000. Also be sure to ask our Springfield chiropractor how chiropractic and acupuncture treatments may help relieve aches and pains associated with occupational driving.